NEMT Experts Podcast Episode 8: How to Hire NEMT Drivers with Jodie Lethgo of CareerDriver and Bambi CEO Nirav Chheda.
Bambi CEO Nirav Chheda interviews Jodie Lethgo, Co-Founder of CareerDriver, which helps transportation companies to implement best practices in hiring and retaining drivers.
Watch the full interview at: https://youtu.be/u2ipJDlDl78
Please don't forget to subscribe and like NEMT Experts Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@bambihealth
Learn more about Career Driver at https://careerdriver.com/
Podcast Show Notes:
- Hiring is an "Always On" Activity: NEMT companies must focus on continuous recruiting efforts, not just when in need. This includes consistently showcasing company culture and values online to attract ideal candidates.
- Retention is Critical: Building a positive and supportive company culture is essential for keeping good drivers long-term. This includes things like support groups, social events, and ensuring all employees feel like part of a family.
- Target the Right Candidates:
- Use social media with targeted advertising to reach people with relevant backgrounds (hospitality, home care)
- Use job boards like Indeed proactively, but be aware candidates are applying to many places.
- Tap into your existing driver network for referrals
- The Lead Funnel: Understanding the hiring process as a funnel is key. You need to generate a steady flow of leads, work to vet them out, and have them move towards the bottom of the funnel (being hired).
- Trial and Error is Necessary There's no one-size-fits-all recruiting strategy. Start with Indeed, then explore other channels, always monitoring where your successful hires are coming from so you can focus your ad spend.
- The Cost of Not Hiring: Companies often worry about the cost of active recruiting, but there's a high cost to NOT having drivers. It's not just about the revenue loss; it's about missed opportunities to serve patients.
- "You better believe that Amazon's got a call center of people that are going to be talking to those people immediately."
- Emphasizes the competition NEMT firms face.
- "It's creating an environment where people are vested in staying, they believe in the company, and they believe in what they're doing."
- The core of employee retention.
- "It doesn't have to be a one-size-fits-all for everyone. And I do think it is very tailored to the culture of the company"
- Companies need to find what works best for them in terms of attracting and retaining drivers.
Here are some time-stamped show notes:
02:40 Jodie's background
05:40 Birth of CareerDriver
07:25 NEMT drivers vs other transport
09:10 "Always On" mindset in hiring drivers
15:22 Driver retention
20:20: Ideal hiring process
28:50: Example of implementing hiring practices